Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Remembering Rita Moran (1919 - 2010)


[Posted by Corey]

Childhood memories are a funny thing, because despite hours in classrooms or having to be patient, we keep a disproportionate number of the good times. And of these memories from my childhood, there are a disproportionate number from summer visits to my grandparents’ ranch at Careywood or cabin at Georgetown Lake.

As an adult looking back, there are a couple of things I can take away from those visits.

1) While Grandpa Joe was often quiet, Grandma Rita was often quite entertaining—whether it was in telling a story or just voicing an opinion (of which she had many). In fact, Grandma Rita was the best storyteller I’ve ever known. The stories came from how they lived their lives, with generosity, caring for people, conviction and humbleness, but it was Rita’s storytelling that really brought them to life. I think a big part of it is that she would always speak her mind and she'd tell stories with nothing to hide.

2) The relationship between Joe Rob and Rita May is one I aspire to have in my own marriage. They complimented and complemented each other daily, and as long as I can remember, they seemed like perfect companions.

As inspirational as their relationship is, seeing the family together to celebrate Rita's reunion with Joe was even more inspiring. Joe and Rita's kids are spread around the country, but it doesn't stop them from being there for each other and it was another reminder of why I'm proud to be a member of the Moran family.



Rita's obituary can be found here:



1 comment:

Natalie Naomi said...

Nice post and it is good to see a photo of your grandma since I've heard a lot about her.