Sunday, February 26, 2012

One Big Kiss


Every year, my favorite radio station (KISS 106.1) does a Children's Hospital One Big Kiss radioathon to help raise money for the hospital (uncompensated care, Greatest Needs Fund, etc).  And every year, they play touching interviews with kids who have been patients at Children's and families who have had kids at Children's during the radioathon to help drive donations.  Those who know me well know that, while I can be emotional in my every day personal life, when it comes to touching stories, movies, TV, books, etc, I rarely let my emotions get the best of me.  The radioathon is the one thing that brings me to tears year after year and I literally bawl all the way to and from work, while listening to both the happy and the heartbreaking stories.

Last year's radioathon was especially rough for me for a few reasons - I was eight months pregnant and highly emotional, but I also kept thinking how, with a baby on the way, you just never know if you're going to need to rely on Children's during your child's life.  I ended up donating money to the radioathon for the first time last year.  While we are so lucky that Jackson hasn't needed to go there for anything too serious (his hip ultrasound and his dermoid cyst), he's been a patient there and both times we've been there, we've experienced firsthand how great it is.

Jackson's CT scan for his cyst takes place at Children's next week and the surgery to remove it will occur there sometime after that and we know we'll be in the good hands of great doctors. It truly is a wonderful hospital and we are so lucky that we live so close by -- there are many families that do not have this luxury and are constantly traveling between the hospital and home. 

Last year, KISS helped raise over a million dollars and are looking to do so again during this year's radioathon this week (February 29-March 1).  We look forward to donating this year, and, in case you'd like to donate as well, here's the link with more details.

No comments: